TIMEOUT The British Library - India Office Select Materials - Collection details
 You are in Introduction. Click here to skip the navigation.
British Library
India Office Select Materials
 Coat of arms of the East India Company
About  Search tips  Prints & drawings  Photographs  All images  Main
print Print this page
home Home
site search Search British Library website
back Back
search tips  Search tips
 
 
 

Photographs Album details for shelfmark Photo 1009/5

Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Western India 1897-98.

Photographers: Henry Cousens (and Indian assistants)
Contents: 31 prints 270x220mm and 155x110mm Gelatine printing out paper (?)
Provenance: Official deposit.
Notes:
Subjects: Archaeological Survey of India - Indian architecture
Description: Blue half-calf volume (front board detached) measuring 320x360 mm. The photographs are preceded by a copy of Cousens printed report of the survey's activities for the year ending 30 June 1898. Cousens had planned to continue his survey work in Sindh (Pakistan) in the 1897-98 season, 'but it was impossible to carry on excavation work over these large areas without extra funds, and since Government were not prepared to incur any further expenditure last year, I submitted an alternative programme allowing the further prosecution of the Sind work to stand over for the present. This alternative programme provided for a tour through the eastern parst of the Satara and the western portions of the Sholapur district, and the examination of the country round Bassein, Sopara, and Borivli in the Thana district.' The volume therefore contains architectural views at Bassein, Gursala, Katar Khatav, Khatav, Malsiras, Parol, Segaon, Singnapur, Sopara, Velapur.



Album contents:-
Photo 1009/5(1538) Khatav, Satara District. Temple of Naganatha. 
Photo 1009/5(1539) Khatav, Satara District. Temple of Ganapati, showing construction. 
Photo 1009/5(1540) Katar Khatav, Satara District. Temple of Katesvara, back of. 
Photo 1009/5(1541) Katar Khatav, Satara District. Temple of Katesvara. 
Photo 1009/5(1542) Gursala, Satara District. Temple of Somalinga. 
Photo 1009/5(1543) Gursala, Satara District. Temple of Ramalinga. 
Photo 1009/5(1544) Gursala, Satara District. Temple of Ramalinga, front of. 
Photo 1009/5(1545) Singnapur, Satara District. Temple of Sambhu Mahadeva. 
Photo 1009/5(1546) Singnapur, Satara District. Temple of Sambhu Mahadeva, showing walls. 
Photo 1009/5(1547) Singnapur, Satara District. Temple of Amritesvara. 
Photo 1009/5(1548) Malsiras, Sholapur District. Temple of Somesvara. 
Photo 1009/5(1549) Velapur, Sholapur District. Row of memorial stones. 
Photo 1009/5(1550) Velapur, Sholapur District. A memorial stone. 
Photo 1009/5(1551) Velapur, Sholapur District. A memorial stone (a small stone). 
Photo 1009/5(1552) Velapur, Sholapur District. Gaja-Lakshmi. 
Photo 1009/5(1553) Velapur, Sholapur District. Temple on tank. 
Photo 1009/5(1554) Velapur, Sholapur District. Temple on tank, interior. 
Photo 1009/5(1555) Segaon, Sholapur District. Old temple. 
Photo 1009/5(1556) Bassein, Thana District. Entrance to the chapel of the Augustinian Convent. 
Photo 1009/5(1557) Bassein, Thana District. Entrance to the church of the Jesuits [Church of the Holy Name of Jesus]. 
Photo 1009/5(1558) Bassein, Thana District. Side entrance to the church of the Jesuits [Church of the Holy Name of Jesus]. 
Photo 1009/5(1559) Bassein, Thana District. Old shell bath. 
Photo 1009/5(1560) Bassein, Thana District. Great archway in the Fransiscan Church. 
Photo 1009/5(1561) Bassein, Thana District. Colonnade in the monastery of the Jesuits. 
Photo 1009/5(1562) Bassein, Thana District. Entrance to the citadel of the Fort. 
Photo 1009/5(1563) Bassein, Thana District. Front of the Fransiscan Church. 
Photo 1009/5(1564) Parol, Thana District. Mota Tankya Temple. 
Photo 1009/5(1565) Parol, Thana District. Lahan Tankya Temple. 
Photo 1009/5(1566) Parol, Thana District. Ruins of old temple near Parol. 
Photo 1009/5(1567) Sopara, Thana District. Sculptures at the Temple of Chakresvara. 
Photo 1009/5(1568) [Collection of coins, possibly from Sopara.] 


print Print this page
home Home
site search Search British Library website
back Back
top Back